StarFire Systems - Materials Engineer
TITLE: Materials Engineer
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
DATED: August 31, 2022
I. Position Summary
Starfire Systems has an exciting job requirement for a Materials Engineer to join our team. The Materials Engineer will play a critical role in continuing the growth of our company by extensive customer contact to facilitate the adoption and application of Starfire Systems industry-leading polymer-derived ceramics (PDC) for the high temperature (> 800 C) aerospace industry. We are looking for a hands-on self-starter who can bring forth technical solutions and manage their own work to deliver results for our company. This position will be expected to work independently as well as work within a group at our factory in upstate New York. US Citizens or permanent residents only.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
1. This position will be expected to interact with customers and offer technical support to further commercialize our products.
2. Provide technical information and guidance to engineers and scientists in support of research and manufacturing programs.
3. Assist the production and operation groups in solving the technical aspects of production issues.
4. Make presentations to customers. Also make presentations at conferences and to internal stakeholders as needed.
5. Perform role in accordance with Company policies and existing regulations, with attention to the health and safety of all employees.
6. As this list of duties and responsibilities are not intended to be all-inclusive, other tasks and responsibilities may be assigned from time to time as business needs require.
III. Required Education, Skills and Experience
1. Required Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science, Engineering, Chemistry or related discipline. Master’s degree or PhD are desirable.
2. Five years experience managing materials related engineering or R&D activities. Experience in Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMCs) is required. Experience in polymer chemistry is highly desirable.
3. High temperature coating experience and/or Thermal Protection Systems and/or Environmental Barrier Coatings is desirable.
4. Proficiency in modern office technology, including Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel and Word), electronic mail, familiarity with Microsoft Project, Microsoft Access and computer aided design and engineering software is desirable.
5. Exceptional presentation skills and strong written and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to convey somewhat complex technical information in understandable terms.
IV. Other Requirements and Working Conditions
1. Flexibility in work schedule as well as periodic domestic and international travel.
2. Ability to deal positively with changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
3. Ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities, and address broad range of responsibilities from IP, to hands-on research, to “Tiger-Team” type problem solving.