Staff Engineer Materials & Processes, Ceramic Matrix Composites Requisition ID 19033957
Staff Engineer Materials & Processes, Ceramic Matrix
Requisition ID 19033957
Grumman’s Space Components Business Unit,
leads the industry in the development, fabrication and production of High Temperature
Ceramic Matrix Composite Components and test articles. COIC is currently hiring a Staff
Materials and Processes Engineer for our San Diego, CA location.
Position Title: Staff Engineer, with a focus on advanced materials and processes supporting
COIC’s ceramic matrix composites (CMC) technology.
• Develops materials and process solutions to achieve continued excellence in fabrication of
a wide variety of military, commercial aerospace and industrial applications.
• Defines objectives of experiments to prove-out and optimize next generation high
temperature CMC materials and processes. Develops and leads execution of experiments,
statistical assessment of data, and makes recommendation for process changes based on
• Provides guidance to the organization on material selection, characterization, processing
approaches, and gives feedback on the technical merit of programs. Through leadership
and sharing expert knowledge, mentors junior engineers to develop their skills and
• Develops and/or guides program teams through materials characterization, databases and
materials and processes specifications.
• Performs research, analyses and development in ceramic matrix composites, coatings and
other high temperature material systems, and applies results to COIC products.
• Investigates and assesses pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture,
availability of materials and equipment, cost factors, safety, and contractual specification
• Coordinates with other engineering and manufacturing organizations for successful task
and project execution.
• Interacts with customers and/or program teams to identify design/tooling design errors,
omissions, and other deficiencies, and recommends revisions and/or improvements to
design layout to responsible engineers or designers.
• Develops/provides guidance on test plans and test procedures to validate hardware
compliance to technical specifications.
• Supports COIC’s continuous improvement objectives and leads CI project(s).
• Involved in intellectual property management and identification of patent applications.
• Works with business development team to develop and execute strategic plans and
technology road maps, including technical leadership of Internal Research & Development
projects. Leads efforts to attract new customers and promotes organic growth of existing
customers. Creates and/or edits marketing materials.
• Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Acts as
advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and
• B.S. in Materials Science/Mechanical/Chemical Engineering or other related field required.
• Minimum of 14 years direct experience (Bachelor's), or a minimum of 12 years direct
experience (Master's), or a minimum of 9 years of direct experience (PhD) with directly
relevant technical and lead role experience required.
• Detailed knowledge of ceramic, carbon/carbon, and/or composites materials and
processes and composite component manufacturing concepts.
• Composite fabrication experience preferably with ceramic matrix composites,
carbon/carbon or similar high temperature material systems in a production environment.
• Experience materials characterization testing and data analyses.
• Experience with engineering basis of estimate creation and proposal development.
able to obtain a DoD Secret collateral clearance.
• B.S. or Advanced Degree in Materials Science and Engineering or Ceramic Engineering.
• Active or renewable DoD Secret collateral clearance.
• Industry experience performing in a role of Materials and Process engineer with a
background in ceramic matrix composites development, fabrication and testing.
• Proficient in Microsoft Project and Access.
• Experience leading an interdisciplinary project team.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud
to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to
race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national
origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
For our complete
EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO
(http://www.northropgrumman.com/eeo). U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.