Principal Manufacturing Engineer - Ceramics Requisition ID 19029713
Principal Manufacturing Engineer - Ceramics
Requisition ID 19029713
Location United States-California-San Diego
US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Relocation Assistance: No relocation assistance available
Clearance Type: Secret
Shift 1st Shift
Travel Yes, 10 % of the Time
COI Ceramics (COIC), a part of Northrop Grumman’s Space Components Business Unit,
leads the industry in the development, fabrication and production of High Temperature
Ceramic Matrix Composite Components and test articles. COIC is currently hiring a
Principal Manufacturing Engineer in our San Diego, CA location.
As a Manufacturing Engineer for COIC responsibilities will include both the planning and
execution phases of flight hardware fabrication for a wide variety of aerospace applications.
• Plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing processes on factory (manufacturing)
• Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge
of component odesign, composite materials and parts, composite fabrication and
processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, composite assembly methods,
and quality control standards.
• Designs manufacturing workflow, layout of equipment and workspace for
• Communicates with design staff regarding product design and tooling to ensure
efficient production methods.
• Develops purchase requests and partners with vendors to determine
product specifications of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products
according to specifications and quality standards.
• Support proposal effort by estimating production times and related costs to provide
information for management decisions.
• Communicates with management, engineering, and other staff regarding
manufacturing capabilities, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
• Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and a minimum
of 5 years of experience in advanced composite manufacturing
(aircraft/aerospace), fabrication, and assembly processes. Experience must
include lay-up, machining, assembly and inspection of composite flight
materials and hardware.
• Skilled at representing an organization as a technical contact and interacting
with teams and leadership on important technical elements of the build,
assembly, and manufacturing
• Knowledge and application of continuous improvement philosophy and tools.
• Expertise with problem solving, including identify root cause and implement
technical solutions to ensure product quality and improve process.
• Skilled at developing program bill of materials (BOM).
• Ability to read, interpret and create engineering drawings.
• Prefer knowledge and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
• Strong organizational skills in managing time, projects and resources.
• Effective team communication, collaboration, and influencing others skills.
• Strong computer skills and presentation development and delivery skills.
• DoD Collateral Secret or higher clearance
Prefer CAD experience (NX-10/Team-center or other CAD experience)
• Ceramic matric composites knowledge and experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud
to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to
race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national
origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
For our complete
EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO
(http://www.northropgrumman.com/eeo). U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.