Job Description Summary
GE Research is looking for a Research Engineer with capabilities in chemical engineering. The Research Engineer will conduct research on advanced engineered material systems as applied to industrial challenges across aviation, additive manufacturing, renewable energy, healthcare and the power generation. You will be responsible for applying chemical engineering principles, computational modeling approaches and experimental techniques to develop innovative material systems technologies, including sorbents for high-value extractions, in decarbonization, including carbon capture, and atmospheric water extraction.
- Conduct basic and applied research in sorption and separation technologies, including sorbent fabrication, scale-up and process engineering, system design, fabrication & testing, process development and optimization, and performance evaluation.
- Determine system level performance requirements and develop fundamental system knowledge through fluid dynamic and mass transfer experimentation and modeling, system engineering cost analyses and sorption and separations mechanisms. Iteratively improve performance for various applications, such as carbon capture (direct air and post-combustion) and atmospheric water extraction.
- Apply chemical engineering principles, computational modeling tools, and experimental skills to develop material and energy balances and kinetic and thermal models to provide process and system design insight. Use experimental data to understand separation mechanisms and define the kinetic and thermodynamic factors impacting various separation unit operations.
- Work with synthetic and process chemists to develop robust methods for producing novel sorbents, including metal organic frameworks (MOF) and polymeric resins.
- Identify novel material system structures and system configurations with improved performance (flux, selectivity, etc.), greater reliability, and lower energy requirements, especially under relevant environmental conditions (pressure, temperature, flow).
- Design & execute experiments, while independently leading tasks that result in impact for GE businesses and customers. Identify key technical issues and produce cutting edge technical breakthroughs.
- Be a member of a multidisciplinary team, including chemists, material scientists, chemical engineers, thermal engineers, and mechanical engineers to develop functional materials across diverse application spaces.
- Build relationships with colleagues at GE Research with a wide variety of technical expertise and business responsibilities. Engage in all facets of technical development, including laboratory testing, modelling, and prototype and systems development.
- Support technology transfer and scale up of the developed processes at pilot and commercial sites and to business and external customers.
- Collaborate with technologists and product managers in GE businesses and at external partners to understand needs and product and process requirements.
- Identify and form collaborative relationships with academic, national laboratory, industry, government agencies and GE experts to leverage internal capability, increasing impact.
- Investigate, identify and pursue external and commercial opportunities, proposing solutions to some of the world’s toughest challenges and write white papers and proposals for grant consideration.
- Support IP strategy development and prior art analysis, write disclosures and patent applications and collect rigorous experimental data for IP patent processes.
- Deliver technical results, progress and insights through effective presentations, reports, and publications to GE Research leadership, the GE businesses, government agencies, professional societies, and peer-reviewed journals.
- Doctorate in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related discipline.
- Proven record of innovation, including peer-reviewed publications, in areas related to separation technologies, with excellent knowledge of chemical engineering principles including reaction kinetics, reactor design, chemical thermodynamics, heat and mass transport, fluid dynamics, engineering statistics, and process modeling and simulation.
- Skilled in Multi-physics modeling and simulation software (e.g., COMSOL, ANSYS, ASPEN, MATLAB).
- Proficiency in typical office and data analytics software (e.g. JMP, MatLab, MiniTab, Office).
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills.
- Practical knowledge of safety practices as it relates to experimental design and lab practices.
- Demonstrated project execution experience, teamwork experience & ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Master's level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment through www.GECareers.com to be considered.
- Expertise in the design, fabrication, process development and product costing methods of new material systems, including sorbent materials (e.g., metal-organic frameworks, covalent organic frameworks) and engineering thermoplastic and thermoset polymers, and their associated manufacturing processes.
- Experience in the process development and scale-up of materials and material systems, including Experience with additive manufacturing
- Ability and experience transitioning products from R&D to manufacturing.
- A foundational understanding of organic, inorganic and/or polymer chemistry
- Experience with the development of material systems for carbon capture and atmospheric water extraction applications.
- Versed in material characterization methods, including such as PXRD, DSC, TGA and BET.
- Knowledge of design of experiments (DoE), familiarity with statistical analysis methodologies like Lean/Six-Sigma and a desire to become Six Sigma certified. Knowledge of Design-Expert, JMP or Minitab for design and analysis of DoE studies
- Experience in automated processes including use of LabView
- Excellent written and verbal communication capabilities
- Experience developing patentable intellectual property
- Experience writing successful R&D proposals, including to government agencies
- Demonstrated capability to work in a multidisciplinary environment. Comfort interacting horizontally and vertically both within and across organizational boundaries
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills using innovative and hands-on solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills initiative, high self-confidence and have goals for a career in industrial research.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to adapt to change and willingness to be flexible in a global team environment.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
As a federal government contractor, GE requires U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you receive an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of vaccination will be required.
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes